alert image

The City of Bethlehem Community and Economic Development Permit Office will be closed Wednesday afternoons to walk-ins from 1 to 4:30pm. This temporary closure is due to the digitization of the permit files. Thank you for your patience and understanding.



Affordable Housing News

Opening Doors Presentation


Bethlehem Market Value Analysis &
Displacement Risk Ratio


City Housing NEeds assessment and Strategic Plan



The City of Bethlehem, in partnership with The Reinvestment Fund, Atria Planning and Collabo Planning, presented an update on the City's Housing Needs Assessment at the February 7, 2023, Community Development Committee Meeting held at 10 E. Church Street, Bethlehem, at 6 p.m.

The presentation can be found at the link below:

Bethlehem Homebuyer Assistance Program

Program Information Flyer

The Bethlehem Homebuyer Assistance Program (BHAP) subsidizes down payment and closing costs for eligible homebuyers  looking to purchase a home in the City of Bethlehem. Your total household income must be at or below 80% of the average median income.

Participating Lenders

Within the BHAP program, lending institutions will provide up to 90% of the financing and the BHAP program will provide the remainder, up to 10%, plus closing costs.  In addition, the applicant must provide $1,275 toward equity and one-on-one counseling services to participate in the program.

The BHAP loan is structured as a deferred payment loan (DPL) with a 0% interest rate and gradual forgiveness over a 10-year period. The homebuyer must reside in the property for the 10-year term of the financing or return the loan proceeds on a prorated basis.

Homebuyer Seminars

The Home Ownership Counseling Program (HOCP), coordinated by CACLV, sponsors an 8-hour first-time homebuyer counseling seminar.  These seminars are held seven (7) times annually with three of the seven seminars conducted in Spanish. Each HOCP Seminar includes two (2) sessions scheduled for consecutive weekends. Both sessions must be completed for the HOCP Seminar requirement to be satisfied. 

Click below for flyers about the seminars on these upcoming dates:

  1. September 9th & 16th, 2023
  2. October 7th & 14th, 2023 (Spanish language seminar)
  3. November 4th & 11th, 2023

2023 HOCP Seminars will be posted here as they are scheduled. If you are interested in attending email:

Program Contacts

The BHAP is administered through Community Action Lehigh Valley. For additional information about the BHAP program please contact:

Community Action Lehigh Valley,
Fair Housing

Each year the City designates a portion of its annual CDBG entitlement funds toward supporting fair housing education and initiatives to increase decent housing and suitable living environments for low and moderate income residents. The City works with North Penn Legal Services (NPLS) to provide fair housing services to its residents. Legal services, tenant/landlord education, and housing complaints should be directed to NPLS at

NPLS Resource Library:


Future training events and resources will be posted here.

Rental Payment Assistance

The City of Bethlehem partners with New Bethany Ministries to provide short term rental assistance to residents through the Eviction Prevention and Rapid Rehousing Program. For more information contact New Bethany Ministries at 610-691-5602, option 2.

Housing Rehabilitation

The City of Bethlehem Housing Rehabilitation Program provides assistance to homeowners within the City of Bethlehem for improving their residence, complying with city code requirements, making weatherization improvements and lead paint remediation. The improved property must be located within the city and must be the property owner’s primary residence.

Program Application

Program eligibility is based on income of all persons living in the home. More information is available by calling the Office of Housing Rehabilitation at 610-865-7096.


Program Guidelines


Program Contacts

Sheila Rhett, Housing Rehab Coordinator,


Contractor Qualifications

The City of Bethlehem’s Department of Community and Economic Development is requesting qualifications from construction contractors and sub-contractors to establish a list of prequalified contractors. Specifically, the City is seeking to develop a list of pre-qualified contractors and with experience in construction and rehabilitation of residential housing. Likely projects include housing rehabilitation contracts up to $20,000 in value throughout the City of Bethlehem.  Lead removal is usually a part of this rehabilitation work. Otherwise qualified contractors who do not have lead removal certification will be offered the certification course free of charge.  Contractors must complete this course prior to being awarded work under this program.