The City of Bethlehem uses an independent third party tool to provide automated language translation. As with any machine translation, the conversion is not context-sensitive and may not fully translate text into its intended meaning. Therefore, the City of Bethlehem does not guarantee the accuracy of the translated text and it should not be relied upon for anything other than informational purposes. We recommend that if you experience difficulty, or doubt the accuracy of the translation, you contact the proper City of Bethlehem department for the information you seek. Please note that some applications and or services may not work as expected when translated.
L-I LIGHT INDUSTRIAL DISTRICT
The purpose of this zoning district is to permit and encourage modern light industrial development that will be so located and designed as to constitute a harmonious and appropriate part of the physical development of the City and to contribute to the soundness of the economic base of the City.
A building may be erected or used and a lot may be used or occupied for any of the following purposes, and no other, subject to the applicable provisions of Article 1318, "General Regulations", and other applicable provisions of this and other City Ordinances.
(a) The following uses are permitted by right:
(1) Tilling of the soil and the keeping or raising of livestock or poultry.
(2) Research laboratory or similar experimental, testing, or scientific establishment.
(3) Headquarters or similar office building, including data processing and record storage, and with offices involving only limited contact with the general public.
(4) Publishing, printing, lithographing or similar establishment.
(5) Warehouse, wholesale, storage or distribution use.
(6) Manufacture, assembly or treatment of articles or merchandise from the following previously prepared materials: plastics, bone, canvas, cellophane, cork, feathers, fiber, glass, horn, leather and fur (excluding tanning, curing and dyeing); precious or semi-precious metals or stones, shell, textiles and tobacco.
(7) Manufacture of: ceramic products (using only previously pulverized clay); novelty or small products from previously prepared paper or cardboard (not including bulk processing); jewelry, clocks and watches, medical, drafting, optical and other professional and scientific instruments and equipment; musical instruments; small rubber products and synthetic treated fabrics (excluding all rubber and synthetic processing); textiles (including spinning and weaving, but not including wool scouring and pulling, or jute or burlap processing or reconditioning); toys; wood products (excluding planing mills and bulk processing of wood and lumber).
(8) Processing, packaging and treatment or compounding of such products as cosmetics and toiletries, drugs, perfumes and pharmaceuticals.
(9) Manufacture and assembly of electrical or electronic devices; home, commercial and industrial appliances and instruments, and electrical supplies, including such equipment and supplies as: lighting fixtures, fans, home radio and television receivers, electric switches, lamps, washing machines, refrigerators and air conditioners.
(10) Processing and combining of food products (except meat and fish), including baking, canning, cooking, freezing, and mixing, but not including manufacture of basic products from the raw state or such processes as: drying, preserving or curing meats, manufacturing sauerkraut, vinegar or yeast, fish, milling flour, roasting coffee or spices.
(11) Light metal processes, such as: metal machining, finishing, grinding, and polishing, metal stamping and extrusion of small products, (such as costume jewelry and kitchen utensils); and the manufacture of light metal products, tools and hardware, (such as hand tools, bolts, nuts).
(12) Bottling, packing or packaging establishment.
(13) Central heating plant.
(14) Manufacture of paper or cardboard boxes, envelopes, containers and novelties from previously prepared paper or cardboard.
(15) Dwelling quarters for watchmen and caretakers employed on the premises, provided the quarters are located within the main building.
(16) Personal service, convenience and indoor recreational facilities planned for the use of the employees of the district, and only incidentally for the general public, such as branch bank, branch post office, drugstore, restaurant, variety store, barber shop, beauty parlor, offices and bowling alley, if developed as an integrated service center.
(17) Outdoor recreational facilities for the primary use of employees of the L-I District.
(18) Public park or public recreation facility.
(19) Public or private utility installation.
[Section 1316.02(a)(19) was amended by Ordinance No. 4190 on May 21, 2003]
(20) Repair garage.
(21) Service station.
(22) Motor vehicle sales and service agency.
(23) Municipal uses such as, but not limited to, municipal buildings, municipal garages, municipal storage areas, fire stations, and police stations.
(24) Commercial Communication Towers and Antennas.
[See Section 1318.28A]
(b) None of the permitted uses for this district are required to have conditional approval.
(c) The following uses and their customary accessory uses, when authorized by special exception by the Zoning Hearing Board, may be permitted in accord with Article 1325:
(1) An industrial use of the same general character as the uses permitted, or an industrial use normally considered to create nuisances provided that the application for special exception shall include evidence satisfactory to the Zoning Hearing Board that the use will be conducted without creating nuisance conditions beyond the limits of its lot by reason of the emission of smoke, dust, odor, and other air pollutants, noise, vibration, light, electrical disturbance, or water pollutants. Such evidence may include the proposed use of proven special structural or technological innovations. In no case, however, shall any of the following uses or any uses substantially similar thereto be permitted: abattoir, incineration or reduction of garbage (except by City government agencies); leather processing; the manufacture of asphalt, cement, explosives, ferrous and non-ferrous metal or wood smelting or reduction; oilcloth, paint, paper, soap; cinder block and petroleum refining, storage or distribution.
(d) Accessory uses customary with and incidental to any aforesaid use in this Article are permitted unless otherwise excluded by these regulations.
(See Article 1318).
(See Article 1319).
(See Article 1320).
(See Article 1321).